This Memorial Page Established by- Shamika Hill
In Honor Of Sergeant  Anthony O’Neal Magee
Remembering a fallen comrade
By Staff Sgt. Natalie Hedrick
3rd HBCT, 3rd Inf Div PAO

COS KALSU, Iraq – Soldiers of the 3rd Heavy Brigade Combat Team, 3rd Infantry Division,
gathered at the chapel at Contingency Operating Site Kalsu May 8, 2010, to remember their
fallen comrade, Sgt. Anthony O’Neal Magee.
Magee, Company A, 2nd Battalion, 69th Armor Regiment, 3rd HBCT, survived three days
before passing away April 27 from wounds suffered during an indirect fire attack on COS
According to Col. Robert Ashe, commander of 2nd Bn., 69th AR, after being wounded, Magee
was moved to safety by another injured Soldier. Immediately, other Soldiers came to help,
using the shirts off their backs as bandages.
Tireless efforts were taken to save his life at the COS Kalsu aid station, the hospital in Balad,
Iraq, and finally the hospital in Germany where he passed. Magee’s final act was to serve as
an organ donor.  
At the memorial service, Ashe said the actions of all involved gave Magee’s family time to say
their final goodbyes. He is survived by his wife Courtney, his son Kameron, and his parents,
Tony and Patricia Davis.
Two of his many friends, Spc. Bryan Hammers and Pfc. Ronald Simpson, brought the spirit of
Magee alive as they took the audience through a journey of his life as they knew him.
“He would not have wanted me to stand here today and dwell on the negativity of the
situation,” Hammers said. “If Magee were here today, I guarantee you his exact words would
be, ‘Quit crying about it; life’s too short.’”
Simpson further confirmed Magee’s upbeat and hearted spirit.
“Anthony Magee would not want us to sit here and mourn over his death,” he said. “He
would rather see us celebrate the life he lived. If it were up to him, he’d have a 48-hour party.”
The room broke out in laughter as his two comrades described special moments they shared
with their friend.
“Magee’s favorite thing to do was get into a combatives match with someone…heck,
anyone,” Hammers said. “I can still hear him as I’m sure many of you have heard him say
before, ‘Keep talking. Say something. I’ll ball you up.’”
The audience nodded as Simpson illustrated scenes almost all of them had witnessed.
“What I remember about Sgt. Magee is frequently catching him flexing his muscles,” he said.
“You would be sitting at the computer and just randomly out of nowhere he’s sneaking up
behind you trying to put you in a head lock.”
Hammers reminded the audience of Magee’s love for life and intolerance for negativity.
“He was one of those people that you just wanted to be around,” he said, “always positive
and never minded lending a hand. No matter what the situation, his response was, ‘I got you
As a Soldier, Capt. Timothy Sikora, Co. A commander, remembered Magee as a dedicated
company supply sergeant.
“If he had the supplies, he gave them to his fellow Soldiers all the way down to the last one
out of his pocket,” he said.
Ashe remembered Magee as a Soldier whose impact on those around him was far-reaching.
With a contagious smile and the attitude to live every day to the fullest, he was a guy who
others sought out in hard times for a quick pick-up.
While Magee’s spirit lingered in the aisles of the chapel and in the hearts of those he
influenced, Simpson took a moment to talk to his fallen friend.
“We love you,” he said. “We miss you. Rest in peace brother.”
Sgt. Anthony O. Magee
United States Army
KIA  27 April 2010, iraq
Sign Guestbook
29, of Hattiesburg, Miss.; assigned to the 2nd Battalion, 69th Armor Regiment, 3rd Heavy Brigade
Combat Team, 3rd Infantry Division, Fort Benning, Ga.; died April at Landstul Regional Medical
Center, Germany of wounds sustained April 24 at Contingency Operating Base Kalsu,
Iskandariyah, Iraq, when enemy forces attacked his unit with indirect fire.
"My little children, let us not love in word or in tongue, but in deed and truth."